Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Law School

Hello everyone!

Jessica, this was a great idea. I've only been an OU alum for a little over a month and I already feel disconnected. Jack, I'm sorry to hear you have to handle J340 on your own from now on-- what will you do without Jessica to keep you humble?!

I am currently working at The Berry Company in Dayton for the summer. In 1910, L.M. Berry "invented" the Yellow Pages, so my summer project is compiling information for a 100th Anniversary coffee-table book. This is hands-down the best job ever. I never thought I'd say this, but I enjoy the research-- which consists mainly of digging through a huge archive room in the basement that is filled with amazing things. There have been some VERY fascinating people who have worked for this company over the past 100 years. I've even uncovered torid details about a scandalous affair in the 1970s! I have also spoken with a bunch of retirees and executives to gather their tidbits, and I can't tell you how many interesting people I have met. I'm writing a lot, meeting with the publisher weekly... and I even have two cubicles to myself :)

Beyond the project being a lot of fun, The Berry Company is an amazing place to work. I know they take a ton of interns from OU, so anyone looking for an internship at any time of the year should defintely try here. The people are wonderful and the environment is really laid back and fun. The Berry philosophy is all about attention to employees, and in my one month here I have been given about two dozen random presents and last week they took the entire marketing dept. to River Downs in Cincinnati for the day--with an open bar and betting vouchers for all, haha.

I am very glad I decided to take this internship for the summer, but now it has left me in quite a quandry. A Community Relations position has just opened up, and my boss really wants me to stay (maybe that's the reason behind all the free gifts?). But I am scheduled to begin law school in Akron on August 20, so I have to move up there in a few weeks. I have a full-ride to Akron Law, so that makes it a little hard to rationalize foregoing law school and staying at Berry. My plan is to go back into PR after law school-- Legal PR-- so maybe I'll get lucky and Berry will have another spot for me.

Since I'm not taking it, I encourage anyone else who is looking for a job to apply for the Community Relations position at The Berry Company-- you'll love it! The job postings are at: http://www.lmberry.com/careers/openpositions.cfm. It may not be up there yet, but keep checking. And look on AT&T's Web site as well, as we were just acquired by them.

Ok, I've always had a problem with rambling on and this entry is definte proof of that. I'd better get back to the exciting world of the Yellow Pages. Hope you all are enjoying your summer!

No comments: