Thursday, August 2, 2007

Cleveland: On America's North Coast

Ok, so I can't think of any GOOD nicknames for Cleveland, but the titles of the last several entries irked me so much that I decided I had to stick up for my humble hometown. (That little gem of a catchphrase was taken from a child-large sized hooded sweatshirt I found in my attic and wear proudly, thank you.)

Anyway, to continue what Eva was talking about a little bit, I, too, am blogging all summer long at the Athens County Department of Job and Family Services. (Not all of it's my writing, I'm not quite a state policy buff, but check it out if you're ever feeling the urge to read about state poverty policy.) It's an interesting way to promote the goals of a government organization, and it's been a challenge to not cross the line of sounding too partisan. As you might imagine, the agency that provides cash assistance to poor people in Athens County tends to sound left-leaning, but we can't go overboard. It's required a lot of research to back up any statements of opinion.

Also, it's made me wish there was an ongoing online journalism class to teach me what the heck a "ping" is, how to get people to "digg" me, and understand all the other high-tech stuff that I find difficult even as someone who's been using the Internet since 7th grade. I took 314 but I'm still not an expert. Anyone else running into these snags? I feel like my bosses look to me as the translator for some of this stuff, but a lot of it is new to me, too.

I can't even imagine how Jack feels, poor guy.

Well, off to go sweat in my cable-less, Internet-less apartment for a little while, but I hope all of you who are practically abroad with your internships this summer are having a fabulous time! Athens is eerily quiet. See ya'll in 471! Go Browns!

No comments: